Complete CV (PDF)
Stefano Ferilli, born 12.10.1972.
- Associate Professor at University of Bari since 2006 (first appointment 2002 as an Assistant Professor).
- Currently Director of the Inter-departmental Research Center on Logic and its Applications.
- Laurea degree in Computer Science (1996) with full marks and honors,
- Specialistic Laurea degree in Computer Science (2003) with full marks and honors.
- PhD in Computer Science (2001).
- Qualifying examination as an Engineer (2005).
Courses: Programming, Programming Languages, Algorithms and Data Structures, Artificial Intelligence, Methods for Digital Document Processing.
- Theoretical research interests centered on Artificial Intelligence topics, and specifically on Logic and Algebraic Foundations of Machine Learning, Inductive Logic Programming, Theory Revision, Incremental Multi-Strategy and Statistical-Relational Learning, Knowledge Representation and Expert Systems.
- Practical aspects of research include the development of relational supervised and unsupervised learning systems.
- Application fields include automatic processing and management of documents and Digital Libraries, bio-informatics, Ambient Intelligence and Process Mining.
- InTheLEx (Incremental Theory Learner from Examples):
A fully incremental ILP system embedding multistrategy inference (induction, deduction, abduction, abstraction)
and operators to handle numeric and taxonomic information.
- fs (Formulae Similitudo):
A similarity framework for first-order logic formulas,
with applications to clustering and k-Nearest Neighbor classification of complex descriptions.
- WoMan (Workflow Manager):
A fully incremental system for declarative Process Mining featuring complex workflow schema
and pre-/post-condition learning, workflow enactment supervision and simulation,
import/export from/to standard formats.
- DoMInUS (Document Management Intelligent Universal System):
A framework based on Artificial Intelligence techniques to cover the whole document processing lifecycle
(submission in different formats, layout analysis, automatic filing and indexing, information extraction
and retrieval, fruition), with extensions to office automation and conference management.
He is the author of an international book published by Springer and of 2 textbooks, the (co-)editor of 4 proceedings and a (co-)author more than 150 scientific papers published on International journals, books and conferences/workshops proceedings and of more than 40 published on National ones.
Research projects: He is/was involved in 4 National research projects co-funded by the Ministry of Education, 10 local University research projects (of which 3 as the team leader); 4 National projects (3 of which with co-ordination roles) and several Regional projects (3 of which as the team leader). European research projects:
- (2004-2007) IST-2003-507173 Project Two Knowledge VIKEF, "Virtual Information and Knowledge Environment Framework" (responsible of Project Competence Areas 1 and 5).
- (2000-2002) IST-1999-20882 Project COLLATE, "Collaboratory for Annotation, Indexing and Retrieval of Digitized Historical Archive Materials" (responsible of Tasks 4.1, 4.2, 4.3).
- (2000-2001) IST-1999-13347 Project COGITO, "E-COmmerce with Guiding agents based on personalized Interaction TOols".
- (1998-2000) ESPRIT Project n.29159 CONCERTO, "CONCEptual indexing, querying and ReTrieval Of digital documents".
- (1996-1999) ESPRIT Project n.20821 SODAS, "Symbolic Official Data Analysis System".
- European Networks of Excellence in Machine Learning (ESPRIT projects n.7115 MLnet and n.29288 Mlnet2), in Computational Logic (ESPRIT project n.72309 COMPUNET), in Inductive Logic Programming (INCO project 977102 ILPnet2), in Knowledge Discovery (project IST-2001-33086 KDnet), in Digital Libraries (projects IST-1999-12262 DELOS and IST-2002-507618 DELOS2).
- Program Chair: 8th Italian Research Conference on Digital Libraries (IRCDL) 2012, ECML/PDKK 2011 Workshop on Mining complex entitIes from Network and biomeDical data (MIND), AI*IA 2009 Workshop on Logic Based Approaches in Bioinformatics (Bio-Logical), IEA/AIE 2011 Special Session on Intelligent Techniques for Document Processing.
- Program Committee Member: International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), International Conference on Advanced Data Mining and Applications (ADMA), International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), ECML Workshop on Data Mining for Business, International Conference on Inductive Logic Programming (ILP), International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems (ISMIS), ACM Symposium on Document Engineering (DocEng), IADIS International Conference on Information Systems (IS), Brazilian Symposium on Artificial Intelligence (SBIA), International Conference on Advances in Databases (DB), International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence (ICAART), International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA), Italian Research Conference on Digital Libraries (IRCDL).
- He was a member of the organizing team of the 15th European Conference on Machine Learning (ECML) and European Conference on Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (PKDD) 2004, of the 18th International Conference on Industrial and Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems (IEA/AIE 2005), and of the 16th International Conference on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems (ISMIS 2006).
- He served as a reviewer of scientific papers submitted to national and international journals, conferences and workshops, among which Machine Learning Journal, Knowledge and Information Systems, Journal of Web Semantics, Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, Journal of Logic and Computation, ICML, ECML, ECDL.
Memberships: Italian Register of Engineers (Information Engineering section), Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence (AI*IA) – a member association of European Coordinating Committee for Artificial Intelligence (ECCAI), Italian Association for Automated Computing (AICA), Italian Group of Researchers on Pattern Recognition (GIRPR) – a member association of International Association for Pattern Recognition (IAPR), Italian Group of Users of Logic Programming (GULP); former member of the International Society for Productivity Enhancement (ISPE) and of the ISPE Foundation.
INTHELEX: INcremental THeory Learner from EXamples
Matching: a Theta-subsumption computation procedure